Wednesday, February 29, 2012

First Korean Entry

So here am I at a reclusive part of Korea University typing this entry. The weather is cold and chilly but not as bad as the previous days. To be exact I am right beside a place called Korea Cinema Trap (Korea University Media Hall). Is it a cinema or is it a trap, I have no answer to that question now but that is an interesting name.

I just missed the group tour as I had to submit my module registration form to the KU Business Office. 50 Singapore dollars wasted and with the opportunity to visit the palace gone! Oh well. Previously I have submitted to their one stop service centre two days ago as indicated on the form. From the moment I was not allocated any modules, I knew something was wrong. Upon visiting the office about an hour ago, I had the answer. The answer was that I had to submit to the business office instead. Things are not looking good right now as it is highly unlikely that I will be allocated any modules with most or should I say all of them have been indicated “full”. The path ahead looks rocky, only God knows what it would be like.

Today is 5th day in Korea. The last 5 days have been pretty fast paced with little rest. Upon arriving at Incheon Airport, it was a long trip to our hostel at Anam Street. Upon boarding the airport bus and reaching Korea University area, we got lost and did not know how to proceed to Isacc Hostel. Thankfully there was girl whom helped to guide us to the place. She was really helpful and it is very rare to see a stranger whom is heading towards different direction taking the effort to walk us to our place. It gladdens my heart to see such people around. In the past I have directed strangers when they asked for directions but none of it has been as far as our walk to Issac Hostel.
The host of Issac Hostel, James was very warm and friendly. It was close to 9 in the night and he drove us to the place to get our thick quilt and pillow. Both of the items cost about 50 Singapore Dollars, still pretty much reasonable but definitely could be cheaper. After the purchase, he brought us to one of the Korean Restaurant just across the street and paid for our dinner.

Although our room is pretty small, the actions of the host really gave me a reason to stay and not moved out to a bigger place with bigger room instead.

Passport sized pictures are not the only pictures used in Korea. There is a special sized photograph called 3X4. Essentially it is a 3cm X 4 cm picture that is used for making ID cards and driving licence. Thank God that there is a picture taking booth at Anam Station, it would be hard to take one at the photograph shop as I do not speak Korean.

Then the orientation on Monday 27th February came. I am currently on the third day but I missed the tour as mentioned above. There are 4 people in my small group, including me. My Korean buddy, a French and a Peruvian Exchange student. My buddy did not speak much English and it was pretty hard to converse with him. Being a relatively quiet person with strangers, it makes it even tougher. But nonetheless, he is a very helpful person and laid back so I do appreciate the things that he has done for us.

One of the memorable days was the second day dinner and drinking fest. We visited a restaurant that served fried chicken and beer. The friend chickens were crispy but I only had one, as I dislike eating food that has bones. On my table were two students from Hong Kong and three from America. The girls from America could really drink. In a just 20 minutes, they downed like 4 to 5 mugs of beer. One of the American girls was half Korean and American and she practically downed the beer like it was water. The Hong Kongers on the other hand were light drinkers. The girl did not drink while the guy was tipsy just after the 4th mug. The beer went free flow and it was obvious who the drinkers were as the crowd began to disperse from the restaurant. On the night I had like 10 to 11 mugs, it was the first time that I had that many, 7 being the previous record. It was amazing how my stomach and bladder could support that much liquid.

After the beer drinking session, the drinkers left for their next destination. I wanted to follow the crowd but I had to send the Hong Kong guy but to his hostel. I knew that the girl would definitely have trouble bringing the guy back and thus I had to do the favour. I was high but definitely sober. It was with the beer that the Hong Kong guy showed his true colours. He was definitely not straight, and I guess I was “sexually harassed” while guiding him back to his hostel at Coco Livingtel. The girl kept telling me to just leave him on the streets but I felt that I couldn’t do that. It was a long and torturous walk to the hostel and I was glad that I made it. Upon reaching the fourth floor, he just collapsed on the floor. It was there that I bid farewell. I should have brought him to his room but I guess the fear was there after all the suggestive actions and words that he displayed on the walk to the hostel. The whole walk was really an experience and my first encounter with a guy that wasn’t straight. It would be an interesting video if the whole process could be filmed.
The weather is getting colder at this moment and I just put on my second jacket. After typing this entry, I shall continue my tour around while waiting for the rest to be back from their main school tour.

Signing Off
Aaron Tan
1030am - 1134am

No comments:

Post a Comment