Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Seoul Day 67

Been on the run for the past two weeks. Visited many places such as Jindo Island, the old palaces, Han river, clubbing places. I would love to tell you all of my journeys but there are simply too many. Been through the midterms too and I must say that I have definitely performed many times under expectation. Today was the second day of the week after midterms. Management Accounting lessons are cancelled for this week and it kind of a good news as it means more time to relax. Watched a show at the local cinema in the university, KU Trap with Lim Hee, Amelia and Sabrina. All the guys were busy this time. The show was titled "Talking Architect" and it depicts the works for Chung Guyon, a Korean Architect who has undertaken many projects in his career. It was a documentary show in which the girls wasn't expecting but nonetheless I found the show to be refreshing and thought provoking. Chung Guyon might be seen as eccentric by many in the circle of architecture but I admire the passion he has towards what he was doing. Through how he fiercely criticized the buildings in which were not built towards how he had intended to and the emotions in which he expressed, one could see how devoted he was to his works. Before his death, he dedicated his remaining time to show case his works in order to influence future architects on their future directions in the world of architecture. An architect is one that works diligently behind the scenes, devoting many hours to create an ideal place for the people. Very often people often remember the splendour of a building or place and never give any credit to the architect. Their contribution to society is often neglected and given due credit for their efforts. Nonetheless, they are always passionate towards their works and designs in hope of creating a better place for the public and individuals. There was one quote that he mentioned captured my mind, "What is Life, Why do we live, What is the World, Who am I, How have I lived, What is Family, What are Friends, What is Architecture?" As one grows older, he mentioned that one should dwell more philosophically. It is also something in which I am experiencing right now as I tend to dwell on this questions too. For the longest time I have been questioning what is my purpose and passion in life. I seem to have none and have been wondering around aimlessly. I am certainly not getting any younger and sometimes it can get frustrating in life not knowing what is my purpose in life. In the past, the purpose in life was simple, I just had to study hard and don't give my parents any trouble. As time passes, such purposes in life do not seem applicable as they are achieved. Right now I hope to have something in which I can dedicate my life towards, and sense of direction in which I can follow and live by. I admire Chung Guyon for his passion and commitment towards architecture. I really hope that one day I can have a purpose and a passion in which I can really believe and work towards to.

No comments:

Post a Comment